If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Ohio.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Friday, August 28, 2009

Human contact: Just say "Hey"


Bear with me while I ramble a minute. There will be a point, I promise.

Last evening we went onto campus to pick up the boxes of stuff that John is moving from his office. (Recall, we are moving from Cincinnati to Mississippi.) I waited with the truck. As you can see, it was pretty quite-- not a lot of folks around on a late August evening (classes don't start for another 3-4 weeks). So I'm sitting in the passenger seat, with the front & back doors open, facing the sidewalk. A young woman approached, and walked past me. You can see her in the first photo up at the top of the hill. You may think that this was an unremarkable event. She just walked past me. But I think it is very remarkable. She just walked past me. She did not make eye contact, she did not nod, she did not speak. She just walked past me. Two human beings essentially alone on a university campus on a lovely summer evening. And nothing. No acknowledgment whatsoever of eachothers' existance. Mind you, I am as much to blame as she. (Although I will say I did say "Hey" to someone else who made eye contact with me.)

Here is my point. We talk a lot about helping eachother & teaching one another. It seems to me that the very first step is acknowledging the existance of someone else. I appreciate that this is one of the fundamental differences between urban and rural societies. Being physically very close to other people in urban settings actually puts more distance between individuals, and it hardly seems worth the effort to say "Hey" to every person you pass on the street. On the other hand, being separated from others by great distances, as in sparsely populated rural settings, tends to bring folks together. It's a rarity to pass someone in another truck on a little country road and not wave.

Which brings me back to last evening. Two human beings essentially alone on a university campus on a lovely summer evening. And nothing. Is there a lesson here? Is there a lesson for preppers? I think so. But I'm curious to hear what you think.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Andrea said...

One of the first things my son picked up on as a toddler was the 'farmer wave'. He noticed all the old farmers would do this particular wave (raised hand, no movement) when they'd drive by, and so he'd do the farmer wave to every doggone truck, car, tractor or piece of equipment that went by. And he still does.

*I think* he is very secure in his surroundings and his experience has been that people are basically good and kind and it's okay to to be friendly. He knows these farmers are his neighbors and that they play an important role in our village, even if he doesn't know their names.

I think when you live as far out as we do, you HAVE to know who you live near and who you can depend on in an emergency.

Marica said...

Thanks for sharing that, Andrea! I love the farmer wave.

Blog Archive

Ohio Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Ohio Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.