If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Ohio.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Saturday, February 6, 2010

SHOVELS, GOALS AND STOCKPILING

I hope all of you that got some snow are warm and safe in your home. In watching the news the past couple of days, I am just amazed at how many people are not prepared for the simplest of life's events. We'll take this snow storm that is hitting the east coast and parts of the midwest. Fox news was reporting in areas that would be hit the hardest with this storm and the Walmart in this particular area was completely out of meat, milk, bread, and shovels, amongst other items. Lines were at least 30 deep. How long was this storm forecasted? The report said snow shovels were sold out everywhere. I have to scratch my head on that one. Is everyone in the market for a snow shovel, or maybe it was lost in the mess in their garages. I would think people that live in snowy regions would already have snow shovels. Alright, I will give them the benefit of a doubt that they all broke last year.

Well, it's hard to believe we are into February already, and soon the New Year won't seem so new anymore. Did you set any goals for 2010? If so, how are you doing with them. I started gung ho with my goals and have started to fizzle out a bit. One of my big goals was to get organized. I want to know exactly where everything is and everything put in it's place. Think I'm a little OCD, but I function better with organization. That way I can find my snow shovel when I need it. hehehe If organizing is one of your goals for this year, and you are starting to lose your ambition, try taking baby steps. Set aside 15 minutes a day on a project that your wanting to accomplish and by the end of the year, your goal should be done. Hopefully before then, though. I keep telling myself it is better to do inside work during the winter, so I can work and enjoy the outdoors when the weather warms up.

On a lighter note, do any of you get funny looks and reactions at the grocery store when you buy lots of a certain item. Meijers had Lipton cup of Soup on sale this past week for .99 cents. I had sixteen .40 cent coupons and went through the self serve checkout, to make 8 transactions. It took me about 10-15 minutes and the cashier thought I was having trouble and saw that I was buying all these soups, and made the comment that we must really like that stuff. I find myself blushing at these types of transactions, because I really don't know what to say, besides we like to stock up when things are on sale. Do you find transactions like this awkward and do you have a favorite phrase you like to say? By the way I only spent $3.04 for the 16 boxes, and thought these might be good for a bug-out bag. I cannot afford freeze dried food and I am trying to get creative with light, dry food for the BOB that won't weigh a ton.

Now it's time to shovel the sidewalks with the shovel I can't find. (Just joking, I couldn't resist.)

God Bless,

Shelly

5 comments:

Andrea said...

In December, I had a cart full of beans, rice and salt and an older couple stopped, looked at my cart and asked if I was putting together jars of soup mix for Christmas. I just flat out told them that I'm afraid the dollar will collapse and if it does, I want to be able to eat.

They looked at me odd for a minute and then told me about the hundreds of pounds of food they'd canned and how they store food, having lived through the Depression. They were closet preppers and were irritated that their kids wouldn't listen to them LOL.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Great post, Shelly! You got a great deal on the soups! To tell the truth, I don't know that I've had anyone mention anything when I've bought multiples of things....

Andrea, great story!! Good for you, bringing those older folks out of the closet. I'll bet they were relieved to find another young person with their head on straight!

Shelly said...

Andrea, good for you for telling people the truth. I may have to do that if I'm not caught off guard, again. You know the economy is not too good if Depression era folks are stocking food and urging their children to do the same. Although, having lived through such a bad time in our history, they probably think ahead on a lot of things. If the economy improved tomorrow, I would never go back to my old ways again.

Gen-Glad to see ya again. I do lots of couponing as this helps with stocking up. My food storage is finally starting to get more rounded out. Hopefully when I do my finishing touches on the dry goods, I won't get too many odd looks.

Aloha2U said...

wow, I wish we could use a lot of coupons on single items Hawaii is funny you can't double or triple up on coupons the stores only allow you to use one coupon per item. Great post!

Shelly said...

Aloha- That stinks about coupon usage in your state. I bet the cost of food is more expensive out there too, due to being in the middle of the Pacific. Thanks for stopping by.

Ohio Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Ohio Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.