If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Ohio.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Tuesday, September 7, 2010

101 Reasons To Use Coconut Oil

Okay. I concede. I can't really come up with 101 reasons to use coconut oil. Maybe 10 or 20. Maybe more if I really give it thought. Nonetheless, I'm finding that I love coconut oil and here's why every prepper should have a supply of it in their pantry.

1) It's a great moisturizer. I can hear our lady readers shuddering, but give it a chance before you reject the idea. I love coconut oil for moisturizing. It's very thin and light and soaks right into the skin, leaving it feeling 'dewy' for lack of a better word. I use it at night and in the mornings under make-up. It's also nice because it doesn't burn when you apply it to irritated skin, freshly-shaved legs or sunburned faces.

2) It's a great hair treatment. I use it for smoothing fly-aways, as a protectant before I heat style and as a deep conditioner. No weird chemicals, no offensive smells, just shiny, silky hair. And I've heard things about coconut oil and grey hair, but I have yet to see it for myself.

3) It has a long shelf-life. Among oils, coconut oil has one of the longest shelf-lives; 2 years or more if stored properly and even longer if stored in the freezer.

4) It's good for you. Emerging science suggests coconut oil is beneficial to the body, even more so than olive oil. Look it up for yourself; there's just too much information to list here!

5) It's great for frying. Use it in place of butter for grilled cheese, or for pan-frying chicken. No, it doesn't necessarily make everything taste like coconut. Some brands may, other brands, not so much.

6) You can use it to condition leather. My poor old 'wear-em-everyday' leather sandles were looking shabby, so I polished them with a bit of coconut oil and they look so much better!

7) You can use it as a carrier oil. Coconut oil is a nice, neutral carrier for potent essential oils like tea tree oil or mint. It would make a great base for homemade massage oil.

8) It's great for baking. Coconut oil, used cup for cup in place of other oils/fats, makes wonderfully moist baked goods. And if substituting coconut oil for vegetable oil makes brownies healthier, then I'm all for it! Imagine: brownies; a health food!

9) A little goes a long, long way. For beauty purposes, just a couple dabs will moisturize your face. Just a couple drops will make your hair shiny and frizz-free. Coconut oil may be a touch expensive in some areas, but a small container will last for a long time.

10) You can find it most anywhere. Kroger, Walmart, Meijer, Amazon.com sell coconut oil. Check the organic/baking sections of your local grocer or health food store and see if they keep it stocked.

So have I convinced anyone to try coconut oil? If you already have coconut oil in your pantry, what are your favorite uses?
------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at www.AmericanPreppersNetwork.net
Visit the Ohio Forum at www.OhioPreppersNetwork.net

4 comments:

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

I used it to make my homemade deodorant. Also use it to pop popcorn on the stove, as it can handle the heating. In fact, at our grocery store they sell it in the popcorn section because that's what lots of folks use it for. I also like to use it in my cast iron stove in between uses.

Andrea said...

Great suggestions, Gen! I never thought about using it for popcorn or cast iron!

Help U Prep said...

Also it is Great for any yeasty skin condiontion, sun burn, heat rash, etc.
Wonderful stuff..long as it has not be hydrogenated.
HUP

Ed the Pilgrim said...

Also it is a good ingredient for soap, it acts as a super fatting oil, which makes the soap very moisturizing.

Blessings all,

Edward

Ohio Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Ohio Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.