If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.Ohio.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Monday, October 18, 2010

Got Food Storage?

According to the PTB, we just exited a deflationary recession and things are on the upswing now. 

Hmmm.

I don't feel any better.  Do you? 

I'm not sure where they're getting their information, but it feels like a smack in the face to me personally.  Over the past 6 months I've noticed nothing but increasing prices, especially in the food and fuel departments.  (How convenient that they don't include food and fuel in their statistics.)  It all makes me want to climb up on my soapbox and rant and rave about the Powers That Be (PTB) but you and I both know ranting and raving accomplishes nothing.  And besides, I had to burn my soapbox for heat last winter.

I'm a huge advocate of a year's worth of food storage, as probably are most folk in the prepper community.  I began my food stores as a result of the early-2008 food recalls.  Remember that one?  Killer peppers.  Tainted tomatoes.  Abused beef.  Yeah, that was ugly, but it sure was an eye-opener for me.  I had no clue how fragile our American food system really is.  I'd never heard of the 'just in time' delivery system that major grocers use for supplying food to their customers.  Nor did I know that backroom storage was a thing of the past.  What's on the shelf is all they've got!  Makes you feel all warm and cozy and long for the days of Mayberry and local grocers, doesn't it?  The 2008 recalls completely changed the way I live, shop and feed my family. 

So now, as we see volatility in the market and wheat prices rising due to crop failure, we can expect to see rising costs across the board.  Why?  If corporations can't find cheap wheat, what are they going to do?  First they'll find alternate grains and then they'll pass the cost on to you.  If they can't use wheat, they'll use oat, millet, rice, corn, barley.  And naturally, demand drives up the prices of those grains too.  Corn prices will rise, making it more expensive to feed cattle and poultry, so meat, egg and dairy prices go up too.  You can see where this is going, right?   Wheat was the pebble that started the avalanche, and there's no stopping it once it gets started.  I'm afraid that food prices are going to get out of hand really quickly and I fear for the folks on fixed incomes who will have to choose between food and heat, food and fuel, food and clothes.

For my family and me, food storage isn't an option.  It's a priority.  It's insurance against rising food costs, inflation, deflation, QE, collapse, job loss, sickness, inclement weather, unexpected company.  Looking back, I don't know how we lived and ate before our food storage system was in place, but I can look you straight in the face and say with a clear conscience that we'll never be without food stores again. 

So let me just go ahead and ask....got food storage?  Have you began putting up food for the hard times ahead?  If so, good for you!!!  If not, what are you waiting for?  Remember last November when cans of pumpkin puree were selling for $7 EACH on Ebay the week before Thanksgiving?  I don't think that was a fluke.  I think that's an indicator of things to come, as we see entire crops wiped out by excessive heat/cold/rain/drought.  The time to act is now while food is still abundant and affordable!

Here's a poll for you...........how many of us Buckeye preppers have *some sort* of food storage system in place?  I don't mean the fancy revolving food storage racks, but simply extra food put away for a rainy day?  Would you care to share how you got started and where you're at in your process???   

Don't be shy...be a lighthouse to those who are only beginning the journey! 

In His Service,
Andrea     

     

------------------------------------------
Join the APN Forum at www.AmericanPreppersNetwork.net
Visit the Ohio Forum at www.OhioPreppersNetwork.net

11 comments:

Shelly said...

Great Post! How and when I started food storage. In the spring of 2009. The stock market was tumbling and swine flu was the talk of the day. Needless to say, I became quite alarmed and started googling ways to save money by couponing and that led to food storage. I started out small, a can here and there and then as I learned how to use my coupons, I have put back more. I feel comfortable with saying we have a year supply if rationed and 9 months if we eat like we normally do. I still need to work on dry goods and the biggest things I need to find time to do is learn to cook with it all, especially the dry goods. Not only for financial reasons but for health.

Andrea said...

You Go, Shelly! A little at a time is the way to go!

Any chance you've tried the food storage analyzer at beprepared.com? Fascinating gadget. A little time consuming at first, as you have to input what's in your food storage manually...BUT...it will tell you exactly how much food you have, how long it will last and any areas that need work.

Gen-IL Homesteader said...

Andrea, I don't remember hearing a out pumpkin puree being so expensive last year!! $7!! My goodness!! If that doesn't scare you, nothing will! Great article!

Andrea said...

It's true Gen! Last year's cold wet summer did a real number on the pumpkin harvest, both private and commercial! I remember hearing about $7 puree on several news programs and from my main source...Kathy at Just In Case blog. She was buying it by the case wherever she could find it!!!

Anonymous said...

I started my food prep after the Cuban crisis and the trucking strike in the 60's. It was scary to go to the grocery and find nothing on the shelves.

Andrea said...

Anon:
I can't imagine what that was like: going to the store and seeing empty shelves. I don't think many in my generation could even begin to fathom what that's like. Thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

I'm doing by best here in No. west ohio, using Gordon's foods and tractor supply. does anyone have a 'working' system for putting up bulk grain and beans? I have read about c02 and nitrogen but the how of it.....?

Shelly said...

Anon-I will do a post this weekend on how to easily store your dry goods for long term storage so they will remain pest free and be viable for years to come. (At least we can hope LOL) All you can do is your best and it appears your doing a great job.

Have you checked Aldi's for some of your dry goods staples. Ex. 3# rice 1.69 Flour 1.25 for 5# Sugar 1.99 for 5# to name a few. Walmart now carries grain red and white for around 13.00 for 25#. A few prices for you to compare. When I do another prep run I will jot down prices from different stores for you and others new to prepping to help save money.

Andrea said...

I'm curious about the dry ice too...I'm just afraid that I'll freeze my fingers to it LOL.

If I can throw in my $.02....I love using my Food Saver for bulk items. I just freeze the items I want to package, to ensure there are no bugs/eggs and then let them come to room temperature and vacuum seal them. The only thing I've had a problem with is dried corn...the sharp edges can make holes in the packaging. I put the sealed packages in 5Gal buckets for good measure.

The thing I like about this approach is when the time comes, I can pull out a small portion of my dried goods at a time while the rest is still packaged and secure.

Anonymous said...

We started years ago. I have canned and gardened for years. Kartina made me really think about water and food storage. We made mistakes along the way and wasted some things but now I kind of have a rotation system. I would like to find a local supplier for mylar bags and such. We also just ordered a 1/4 of beef and some of the family hunts/deer. I also have some back up on soaps, medicine, TP and such. Any advice I get helps I don't see much on Ohio prepers.

Roy D. Slater said...

Food storage is a great way to practice self reliance. We've been doing it ever since we got married. We like to have a good amount of food on hand in case of emergency. It's a great thing to do.

Ohio Preppers Network Est. Jan 17, 2009 All contributed articles owned and protected by their respective authors and protected by their copyright. Ohio Preppers Network is a trademark protected by American Preppers Network Inc. All rights reserved. No content or articles may be reproduced without explicit written permission.